Otto Rosmarus (Walrus)

Had a pretty awesome encounter on the server last night

1 post in this topic

So, last night my group had a great encounter with one of our new players.

It was pouring rain, getting dark, and my group - @Joe Oakley @Justin Carter @Brad Lee and myself - had just finished a bandit occupation mission. What came next was pretty memorable...

After flying directly over the mission to engage from the air, we landed in a field on the outskirts of a nearby town. We left our UH1Y, and moved in on foot to engage the bandits.  Within a few seconds of cresting a hill on the opposite side of the town, we took heavy suppressive fire from a technical as well as direct fire from nearby bandits. We immediately suffered a few casualties and one fatality, but were able to recover after one of us performed CPR to resuscitate the fatality. We regrouped near a large tree,  bandaged up, and rehashed our plan.

Oakley and Carter stayed put while Brad (Putin) and I advanced to the next tree line. They laid down suppressive fire and popped smoke to cover us and divert the bandit's attention while we pushed forward. It was a great success, and it allowed me to get into a safe position where I could fire off the MAAWS launcher I'd recovered on a previous mission. I landed a shot adjacent to the technical, so as to not blow it up but neutralize the bandits in it and adjacent to it. This, combined with sniper fire by Carter and Oakley allowed us to quickly clear all the bandits. We pushed forward and secured the loot and technical.

Unfortunately Arma decided to be Arma. The vehicle glitched out, went beserk, and killed three of us. Thankfully, Carter, the last standing member, had a defib and was able to resuscitate all of us... We loaded up all the loot, and were preparing to head back to the helicopter to evac.

However, Arma again showed it's nasty ass head and the vehicle disappeared into the ground... Around the same time that happened, I got a notification from the heli saying that someone else entered it. In a panic, I told everyone to high-tail it back to the helicopter so we could secure it.

Oakley and Carter were quick to set off but Putin had encountered some issues, so I momentarily stayed behind to help him. By the time we got going, the others were a few hundred meters ahead. We chugged back some RedGulls and got going. Oakley and Carter set up behind cover on the west side of town, our heli was to the south. Perhaps what ended up being our saving grace was that the heli slid down the hill and partially into a wall, rendering it temporarily immobile. Had it not, I wouldn't be here telling this story.

After getting into position, both Carter and Oakley made visual contact with the thief, and when Carter bounded to a new position for a better line of sight, he was spotted. On our run back, I instructed the others not to engage unless we were engaged... Well, being DayZ, you can probably guess what happened. Two shots rang out and hit the wall Carter was moving towards. Oakley returned fire, neutralizing the target in mere seconds. By now, Putin and I had caught up to the others, and together we moved in ensuring that he didn't have any nearby accomplices. Oakley moved in, and started talking to the unconscious survivor, I moved in and started performing CPR while the other two covered us.

I successfully revived the survivor, who came to extremely shaken and confused - surrounded by 4 heavily armed survivors. We ordered him to keep his weapon pointed down, which he thankfully complied with. We allowed him to retrieve the weapon he'd just tried to kill one of us with, and started talking. We learned that he'd only recently gotten away from the coast, and was just starting to move inland. He was a new player. After a few minutes of talking, something happened.

A horde of more than 25 zombies came pouring around a corner of a nearby building. We quickly mobilized and got into position. An intense battle commenced, and after a minute or two, we emerged victorious, suffering no casualties. The survivor thanked us dearly and apologized for shooting at us, stating that he was just scared. We accepted his apology, and wished him well. He said he was going to a nearby military base, some 4 kilometers away...

We don't know if he survived or not, but we hope he did.

Even though our server is still in development, this was an incredible moment and one that I will not soon forget. It was unique and felt very special.

@Dust Thanks man, our encounter with you made our night.

I look forward to many, many more moments like this, and I hope that this entices some of you to get on and join in the action.

If you have any stories or moments from our Exile DayZ server, let us know, we'd love to hear it! See you around :)

• Win 1